EducationGraduate from Michigan State University with BA in English and Minor in Spanish Language.
Certified Spanish & English teacher AZ
ExperienceMTTC: English, Spanish
SOPI (Spanish Oral Proficiency) Advanced-Low
I am a Secondary Education teacher currently teaching English and Spanish.
Sylvan Learning Center
Instructor in Spanish, English and Elementary Math and Reading Fall 2012
Private Spanish Tutor Feb 2012 - present
English Conversation Teacher for Conversations Direct 2012
Reading Tutor for Capital Area Literacy Coalition through Michigan State University Student Affiliate
Private English Conversation Tutor (South Korea)
Tutor for Post Oak Elementary, Lansing Michigan (2-4 hours/week)
- Guided 5th-grade students in reading comprehension
- Worked with groups and individuals
- Helped with classroom management
English Speaking Tutor: Speakers from following countries…
South Korea (1 hour/week) Jan. -May 2009
Saudi Arabia (2 hours/week) Nov.-Dec. 2009
China (2-3 hrs/week) Jan.-May 2010
- Met once a week with foreign speakers
- Shared USA culture and learned about other culture
- Took educational trips to place of employment, place of residency, place of recreation, and place of study.
One-on-One Student Tutor at Dwight Rich Middle School, Lansing, MI (2 hrs/week)
Oct. – Dec. 2010
- Worked with student separate from class for two periods/day
- Invented new ways to enthuse student about subject areas (Geography and English)
- Included other students who wanted help
English Tutor in Escuela Paul Harris Viña del Mar, Chile, South America (4-6 hrs/week)
April – June 2011
- Observed English teaching strategy from native Spanish speakers’ perspective
- Timed individual students reading
- Provided culture of USA through popular music, dance, slang.
- Trained selected students for English spelling bee.
- Specialized in English Phonology.
HobbiesMy hobbies and interests are endless. I love all sports. I play the piano and sing, I like to knit and crochet. I do outdoor activities. I love to read and write. I love chocolate and coffee.
Client Reviews (2)
My HS daughter is meeting with her twice a week for Spanish and we couldn't be happier. They have only been meeting for two weeks and already my daughter shows improvement and has more confidence with her knowledge of the language. Many thanks and many more sessions ahead!
Erika is an excellent tutor who instructed our two children in Spanish. We found Erika to be very knowledgeable of the Spanish language due to her education, teaching experience, and overall interest in the language and culture. Erika was very creative and worked hard to keep the children engaged in learning. One of our children was initially apprehensive to learn Spanish but Erika won him over by using interactive games and songs to reinforce the lessons and make learning Spanish fun. We highly recommend Erika!
Inquire about this tutor
The tutor will respond if they are available/interested.